The Philosophy and Techniques of Organized Sungazing Began in the World’s Oldest Civilizations.
The Oldest Surviving Sungazing Temple – Orrissa Inda –
EYE OF RA
Techniques for Sun Gazing go back 10,000 plus years, to the origins of the Egyptian mythic cycle. To them, the ‘Eye of Ra’ is a symbol of vision, healing, protection, royal authority, and inspired insight. In ancient Egyptian mythology, the Eye of Ra equated with the sphere of the sun. Dating back to the beginning of written history, the yellow or red convex disk-like sun emblem appears in Egyptian art representing this Eye of Ra. It is an important, first cause deity, that functions as a feminine counterpart to the supreme Sun god Ra. The Solar Eye protects him and is an extension of Ra’s power, that behaves as an independent entity. The Solar Eye goddess acts as mother, sibling, consort, and daughter of the Sun god. She is his partner in the creative cycle in which he begets the renewed form of himself that is born at dawn. Ra gives rise to his daughter, the Eye, who in turn gives rise to him, her son, in a cycle of constant regeneration.
The creator god appeases her by giving her an exalted position on his forehead in the form of the uraeus, the emblematic cobra that appears frequently in Egyptian art, particularly on royal crowns representing the third eye. The Solar Eye weeps for joy at being given this honour and the tears give rise to the first humans. The concept of the Solar Eye as mother, consort, and daughter of a god was incorporated into royal ideology. Pharaohs took on the role of Ra, and their consorts were associated with the Solar Eye and the goddesses equated with it. A spell in the Coffin Texts states that Bastet, as the Solar orb, illuminates the spirit world like a torch, giving healing, restoring eyesight, granting insight, inspiration and the ability to see the future.
The later Greek influence began to depict the sun as a masculine entity and the secret Solar cult of the god Mithras based on earlier Egyptian/Vedic archetypes.
“The sun in the Rigveda is known as the eye of Mithra. The sovereign sky has an eye in the long solar ray that penetrates the world cave.”(Campbell: 1968..pg 99) “Mithra is young. His eye is the sun. The rays of the sun are his arms. He wears glistening garments. His abode is golden. He is a king and a universal monarch. Mithra is ever waking and watches in darkness.”(Gershevitch: 1959 pg 4, 31)
The “Mithras Liturgy” from the “Paris Codex” translated by Marvin W. Meyer, appears to give this solar illumination a formula:-
“… whilst gazing on the great god Helios Mithras (The Sun) he ordered all to be revealed to me by his archangel, so that I may ascend into heaven as an inquirer and behold the universe….(to do this) Draw in breath from the rays, drawing up three times as much as you can, and you will see yourself being lifted up and ascending to the height, so that you seem to be in mid-air. You will hear nothing either of man or of any other living thing, nor in that hour will you see anything of mortal affairs on earth, but rather you will see all immortal things. For in that day and hour you will see the divine order of the skies: the presiding gods rising into heaven, and others setting. Now the course of the visible gods will appear through the sun’s sphere of god, my father; … And you will see the gods staring intently at you and rushing at you. So at once put your right finger on your mouth and say: “Silence! Silence! Silence!…” Then you will see the gods looking graciously upon you and no longer rushing at you, but rather going about in their own order of affairs. Immediately after you have said these things the sun’s disk will be expanded …and immediately you will see many five-pronged stars coming forth from the disk and filling all the air. And when the disk is open, you will see the fireless circle, and the fiery doors shut tight. At once close your eyes and recite the following prayer: “Give ear to me, hearken to me. I am a star, wandering about with you, and shining forth out of the deep… O Lord, you who have bound together with your breath the fiery bars…” Then open your eyes and you will see the doors open and the world of the gods which is within the doors, so that from the pleasure and joy of the sight your spirit runs ahead and ascends. So stand still and at once draw breath from the divine into yourself, while you look intently. … The rays will turn toward you; look at the centre of them. For when you have done this, you will see a youthful god, beautiful in appearance, with fiery hair, and in a white tunic and a scarlet cloak, and wearing a fiery crown. At once greet him: “Hail, O Lord, Great Power, Great Might, King, Greatest of gods, Helios, (The Sun) the Lord of heaven and earth, God of gods: mighty is your breath; mighty is your strength, O Lord. If it be your will, announce me to the supreme god, the one who has begotten and made you: …that he may appear and give revelation. After saying this, you will see the doors thrown open, he will immediately respond with a revelation. Now you will grow weak in soul and will not be in yourself when he answers you. He speaks the oracle to you in verse, and after speaking he will depart. But you remain silent, since you will be able to comprehend all these matters by yourself; for at a later time you will remember infallibly the things spoken by the great god, even if the oracle contained myriads of verses….and you speak as though prophesying accurately and in ecstasy”
Ancient Sun Gazing Techniques
Jain and Hindu Scriptures Develop a simple and scientific technique of harnessing energy from the Sun and the Earth. Proponents have been observed to live without food, on water alone, for a period of 411 days. These methods are dedicated to teaching how our body can gain energy from sources other than food.
People who practiced this method have observed negative emotions to drop, chronic illnesses to disappear and all obsession with food become a thing of the past.
Eye Problems including Macular degeneration: Look at the sun for a second or so. Then close your eyes and “see” the image of the sun in the “third eye” (ajna chakra – middle of the eyebrows). Keep focusing on this mental image as long as it persists. When the image goes away, open the eyes and just look at the sun once again, and then repeat the process (focus on the image with closed eyes). Repeat a third time. Do this until the image persists for about 5-6 minutes. This will greatly aid the macular problem, and then you can do the regular practice.
Increase the time you gaze at the sun by a few seconds each day – say by 5 seconds or so per day, until you are comfortable and relaxed with the entire concept of staring into the sun. Once you are comfortable with the concept of sungazing feel free to increase gazing time at a constant rate of 10 seconds per day. You may find it helpful to set the alarm on your phone to keep tabs on your staring time. Subtle slow increments of time are important for allowing for the rods and cones within the anatomical structure of the eye to adapt to the intense levels light.
1. To be practiced standing BAREFOOT on BARE EARTH. No wearing shoes, and no standing on concrete, stone or even on grass in a meadow or lawn (The grass absorbs the solar energy). One has to stand either on sand or on gravel/mud/ earth. Bare feet have to be in contact with the bare earth.
1) Practice this in the open, in the first one hour after sunrise or the last one hour just before sunset. During this time, the sun rays are not too strong, and also the UV radiation lowers, so no harm will come to the eyes.
2) Start by simply gazing (or rather, looking) at the sun for 10 seconds only. Do not stare or focus on the sun. Simply just look at it. No stress or strain on the face, facial muscles or eyes. Stand relaxed. Don’t squint. If you feel yourself squinting, relax the muscles in your face and eyes. Let the light in. The more open and relaxed the muscles are in your body the more oxygen and energy is able to flow within your cells, and then more light will be allowed in. No need to maintain an unblinking, unwinking stare. Blink as and when it naturally happens. There is no need to maintain an unblinking, stare. Blink as and when it naturally happens, sort of like watching television. For the first few moments you look into the sun it may be very bright, after about 3-7 seconds of continuous gazing all the brightness generally goes away and you are left staring into a soft ball of pure white light; a beautiful pulsing orb.
3) During the practice, the attitude of “surrender” to the natural divine cosmic sun energy must be there, as also an “auto-suggestion” and implicit belief that this is going to help/heal/nourish you. The sunrise holds more energy, vitamins and minerals then the sunset. Personally I recommend the sunrise, energetically it is a beautiful balance of yin and yang. You only need the sunrise or the sunset, both may be a bit much. By rushing about you will not find what you are looking for any faster. Be careful and always listen to your body.Try to become aware of what your body is feeling, how is your mental, emotional and physical state as the sun fills every atom, every electron, and every cell in your body. Feel every tissue filled with the regenerative and healing properties that the sunlight imparts on your body. You may notice an amazing increase in your overall energy as well as your physical stamina and positivism. Be aware of how the sunlight actually cleanses and rebuilds the whole of your being, your mind and thoughts, your feelings and your physical body; total rejuvenation. By completely surrendering to the suns greater power, and as the minutes of sungazing increase, the awareness of your energetic being may heighten dramatically. You have at your disposal an incredible amount of electricity to make things happen in your world. With the aid of sunlight, you can recharge each cell and atom to its full potential.
4) Increase the time you gaze at the sun by ten seconds each day. In about three months time, you will be doing it for about 15 minutes. By this time, your mental tensions, problems etc. go away. This itself is a major thing. If this is your objective, you can stop the practice at this time and go to the “Post sun gazing practice”. Sungazing can be used as a tool for tapping into your human potential. Some change will occur to reach these peaks; your perceptions may alter circumstances, you may begin to change from the inside out. Change can be uncomfortable. Nonetheless, when we release our physical and emotional energetic blockages these changes will become trivial relative to the incredible expansiveness of the universe.
5) If you wish to go ahead, continue for another three months, increasing again by ten seconds each day. When you are six months into the practice, you will be somewhere around 30 minutes. By This time you will notice a vast improvement in your physical ailments. If this is your objective, you can stop the practice at this time and go to the “Post sun gazing practice”. We are all energetic beings, vibrating at different frequencies, so we should be comfortable with the concept that all of us are different. There may be many different reactions, sensations and experiences. Remember, whatever happens to you is a reflection of you. It is yours and yours only. At every turn there are lessons to be learned. It may be helpful to become objective in your approach to life, awareness may prove to be an essential ingredient. Be patient, positive and open-minded; feel all there is to feel.
6) If you wish to go ahead, continue for another three months, increasing again by ten seconds each day. When you are nine months into the practice, you will be somewhere around 44 minutes. This is the maximum. DO NOT EXCEED 44 minutes. You will find that in this period, your hunger slowly recedes until it virtually disappears and you have no need for food any more. Will sungazing cause hungers to diminish? Possibly. Remember that the understanding and becoming aware of the hungers that drive our choices, our actions, our reactions are far more important than our ‘need’ for take out.
At this time, sungazing has to be stopped and there is no need to continue the practice any more. During the first three months, the pineal gland is getting activated, and the hypothalamus or pathway to the brain from the eye is getting charged. After that period the solar energy starts reaching your brain and charging it. After this period, the solar energy starts getting stored in each and every cell in your body. When all the cells in the body are charged there is no need to do sungazing any more. Only the post-sun-gazing practice needs to be done to recharge the body.
Post Sun Gazing Practice: Simply walk barefoot on bare earth for 45 minutes a day!
Conclusion: There is no urgency to carry on doing sungazing for nine months until you reach 44 minutes. You can stop the practice whenever – at three months, six months etc. You will get the benefits accordingly.
“Why do we watch the sunrise? Why do we concentrate on it? In order to learn to mobilize all our thoughts, all our desires, and all our energies, and to direct them toward the realization of the highest ideal. A person who works to unify the many chaotic forces that pull him in every direction and to project them in a single, luminous and salutary direction becomes such a powerful center that his presence, like the sun, is able to radiate through space. Yes, he who manages to control the tendencies of his lower nature can spread these blessings over the whole of humanity, and he becomes a sun. He lives in such freedom that he expands the field of his consciousness to include the entire human race, to which he sends the abundance of light and love that pour forth from him. “–by Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
If you chose to embark upon the journey of sungazing, please heed the advice that slow and steady wins the race. I do not recommend this practice to anyone. If the sun seems or feels to bright, well then, don’t look at. If you chose to partake, be very careful, take your time, be cautious, be humble and document your progress.
You can damage your eyes from sungazing, just as you can burn your feet from walking on fire.
I have participated in both practices, my feet and my vision are in perfect working order.
We are all wired a bit differently; therefore it is impossible to predict how each individual will process the suns brilliant light. If you wish to partake, by all means enjoy the daily practice. Truly embrace the beginning (or ending) of the day. Feel all the joy the sun has to offer.
Remember this the information here is not set in stone, it is simply one person’s suggestion. Depending on life style and location every person may carve out their own form of sungazing. Understand that because of our many differences, the results will most likely be different as well. And that is ok, whatever experiences you experience are still yours and yours alone.
Depending on the weather and the level of commitment this is only a nine month to a year practice. Once you reach 44 minutes of sungazing you are finished.
Many philosophers and scientists including but not limited to Jacob Böhme, Galileo Galilei, Leonardo Da Vinci, Nicholas Tesla, Isaac Newton, Salvador Dali, Socrates, Dante Alighieri, Pythagoras & Albert Einstein have claimed to have gained insights, inspiration for inventions or life changing epiphanies after performing such eye sunning techniques. Could this be the true non-propagandized meaning of “The Ever-Seeing Eye” i.e. “The Illuminati?”
Maybe there is more to “enlightenment” than meets the eye.